Sunday 12 May 2013

Making Melody

I think you've already guessed what this is going to be about. Well, yes it is. Music has always been the unseen friend and the soothing partner that has managed to remain behind the scenes and yet comfort me when nothing else seemed to help. Music, in the form of my guitar, sits in the corner of my room and waits… and waits… for days upon days and sometimes even a month because it seems to know, that one day, when nothing else is there, it will be the one to give me solace. And sure enough, there is always that one time when nothing seems to make sense and nothing I say or do or everything that happens seems hazy and that’s the time that I pick up my guitar and strike up a country tune – And there is peace again!

Music also helps in a lot of tense situations, not only to soothe nerves but also to improve people’s moods. That’s why in the days, my roommates and I used to put on some kick-ass music on our stereo in the middle of the night; just to get into the mood for studying till dawn. It is indeed the medicine for all ails:

Just broke up – Hit play;
Just got dumped – Hit play;                              
Just lost a job – Hit play;
Have to study – Hit play;
Getting bored – Hit play;
Missing somebody – Hit play;
Got to travel – Hit play;
Nobody to talk to – Hit play;
Stupid movie on TV – Hit play;
Can’t study – Hit play;
Want to party – Hit play.

So, whatever the occasion, music is a friend in need and therefore by extension, a friend indeed. Whatever type of music one prefers, if the music has truly been made with some shred of passion, it is always going to touch hearts. I would not like to name artists from any particular genres here, but some legends will always be remembered for their memorable gift of soul-touching music to the world. Elvis Presley, Michael Jackson, Bob Marley, Aerosmith, Carlos Santana, Cliff Richards, John Denver, Lionel Richie, Sir Elton John, Pink Floyd, the Beatles, the Diamonds, the Carpenters, Frank Sinatra, Kurt Cobain… and the list can go on even though it is rare for music to be remembered and cherished after so many years of it being produced. But these people have managed to live in the hearts of people long after they died and continue being remembered not only by the old but also by the young. These were the people who spent their lives trying to make good and meaningful music. It is this type of music that inspires people to do great things though this may not be apparent because as I said, music is the one pushing from the shadows, the unseen force, only heard in times of utter despair or complete peace.

Music has been my constant companion all my life. My grandfather was a pianist, my aunt is also one, two of my cousins are guitarists and I can play the guitar as well. Apart from that, I've spent the last three years living with two of the most promising electronic music artists I've seen and the best DJ in that city; who have bombarded me with such music that I've come to understand and listen to different genres and sub-genres of music that I was oblivious to. These are the people who expanded my horizons enough for me to write this piece you are reading today.

I will just leave you with a little suggestion:

“Good music is everywhere, if you can but learn to listen.”

No comments:

Post a Comment